Why an E-Bike?
- It’s the great equalizer. Do you get stressed out trying to keep up with faster riders? Pedal-assist on e-bikes brings the fun back into your ride, letting you keep up with anyone.
- Expand your horizons. With an e-bike, you can rider longer distances and cover more ground
faster if you’d like, riding to destinations you never would have considered with an acoustic
- Ride to work. Maybe you never considered cycling to work because you didn’t want to be all sweaty and gross. An e-bike provides a leisurely, sweat-free ride.
- Take the “bad” out of the ride. With an e-bike, you control the level of assist. With a simple push of a button, you can take away the pain of riding into a strong headwind or up a steep hill, keeping the entire ride fun.
- Help the planet. As you ditch the car in favor of more trips with your e-bike, you’re helping reduce carbon emissions and wear and tear on our streets from autos that turns into massive construction projects to rebuild roads.
- Save money. Fewer fill-ups, extended life for your car, no parking fees. You’ll find more money in your pocketbook as you turn to your e-bike for routine errands, commuting to and from work, or riding to fun activities with family and friends.
- Easy Peasy. If you know how to ride a bike, you know how to ride an e-bike! Pedal assist is a natural extension of the bike with a simple push button to select the assist level while you ride.
Century Cycles proudly carries the best electric bicycles from Wolff E-Bikes, Giant Bicycles, Liv Cycling, Electra Bicycle Company, Momentum Bikes, and Jamis Bikes. We are an Authorized Showroom and Service Center for Gocycle. Stop in for an electric bicycle test ride and to learn more from our experts!
Our mechanics are certified to provide service for all of the e-bikes that we carry.
Where can I ride an e-bike?
With some exceptions, you can generally ride an e-bike the same places you would ride a traditional bike. On public streets and roads, e-bikes are considered vehicles, with the same rules, rights, and responsibilities as motor vehicles and other bicycles.
On pathways designed for bicycling and walking, Class 1 and Class 2 e-bikes are allowed. Observe all posted speed limits. Examples of such trails are the Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail, Cleveland Metroparks All-Purpose Trails, and the Summit Metro Parks Bike & Hike Trail. See below for information about e-bikes classifications.
While some mountain bike trails allow e-bikes, please note that e-bikes are NOT allowed on the East Rim Trails in Cuyahoga Valley National Park, nor the Summit Metro Parks Hampton Hills Mountain Bike Trails. The Cleveland Metroparks allows Class 1 and Class 2 e-bikes on their mountain bike trails. PeopleforBikes has information on places to ride electric mountain bikes.
Aren't e-bikes for older or disabled people?
Electric bikes help many people who aren't able to ride a traditional bicycle to enjoy the benefits of cycling. However, anyone can benefit from an e-bike! Don't like the effort it takes to pedal up steep hills? An e-bike makes it easy! Need to haul the kids to school, and make a grocery stop on the way? An e-bike can make the extra weight manageable! Want to ride to work, but you live too far away? An e-bike can make that trip feel shorter! Plus, e-bikes allow couples and families with different fitness levels to enjoy cycling together.
Laws regarding electric bicycles (e-bikes) vary by state, and can also be different in your county, city, and local parks jurisdiction. In an effort to make things easier for e-bike users, the bicycle industry is promoting a classification system for e-bikes. The e-bike classes below have been adopted by 39 states in the US (as of the fall of 2022), including Ohio.
A vehicle that does not meet the parameters for any of the classes above may or may not fall into another category of vehicle regulations, such as those for electric scooters, electric motorcycles, or mopeds. Learn more about the world of Electric Bikes from PeopleForBikes.org.
Safe Riding is Fun Riding
With more people discovering the many joys and benefits of riding an e-bike, PeopleforBikes.org created E-Bike Smart to share the basics of maintaining your e-bike, handling and charging your e-bike battery, and riding safely while out on the road or trail. Whether you’re new to riding or just need a refresher, everyone can learn and benefit from this FREE video series.
Electric Bikes For Every Ride
Electric bikes come in many styles to handle any ride. Which bike is right for you?