FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Photos of beer-costumed bicyclists available upon request.
Tracey Bradnan, Century Cycles
Cell Phone: 440-781-7690
Celebrate Cleveland Beer Week on a bicycle:
All Hail the Ale Night Ride on the Towpath Trail rolls out October 20
PENINSULA, Ohio (September 6, 2012) – Celebrate Cleveland Beer Week on two wheels at the 3rd Annual All Hail the Ale Night Ride on the Towpath Trail on Saturday, October 20, at 7:30 p.m.
This FREE nighttime bicycle ride will begin at Century Cycles bicycle store in Peninsula (1621 Main Street/Route 303) and will end at the Winking Lizard Tavern next door with the tapping of a special Sierra Nevada beer provided especially for the event. For more information, go to www.centurycycles.com/for/ CleBeerWeek or call 330-657-2209.
“The All Hail the Ale Night Ride is in tribute to the post-ride beer, a long and sacred tradition in bicycling that we’re proud to celebrate and uphold,” said Scott Cowan, owner of Century Cycles bicycle stores in Medina, Peninsula and Rocky River.
Details for Cleveland Beer Week’s only bicycle ride include:
- Decorate yourself or your bike in tribute to the event theme “All Hail the Ale!” While beer costumes are not required, they are highly encouraged and a special prize will be awarded for Best Costume. Everyone in costume will be entered to win additional prizes donated by Century Cycles, the Winking Lizard and Sierra Nevada Brewing Company.
- Pedal your bicycle with a crowd of fellow bike-and-beer lovers on a 13-mile nighttime bicycle ride on the Towpath Trail. It will roll out at 7:30 p.m., but plan to arrive earlier to admire your fellow rider’s beer-inspired garb, take a spin on the Blender Bike, and enjoy the pre-ride festivities.
- At the ride’s halfway point, there will be Oktoberfest-themed snacks – pretzels, sausages, cheeses and other salty delicacies – to fuel the ride back to the Winking Lizard Tavern and make you REALLY thirsty for some good beer.
- After the ride, Night Riders are invited to the Winking Lizard Tavern in Peninsula for a tapping of a special beer provided especially for the event by Sierra Nevada Brewing Company, one of the pioneers of the craft beer movement in America. Not to be a buzzkill, but there will be no beer (except perhaps root beer) allowed or distributed on the Night Ride until the tapping.
- The All Hail the Ale Night Ride is free and no pre-registration is required. However, bring a few extra bucks, because the All Hail the Ale Night Ride wants to further celebrate Cleveland Beer Week by supporting its charity, the Malone Scholarship Fund. Cash donations will be collected pre-ride and post-tapping.
- Century Cycles will also be making a donation to the silent auction to benefit the Malone Scholarship Fund at BREWzilla, the party that culminates Cleveland Beer Week. For a chance to bid on the bicycle and other auction items donated by local breweries and companies (plus enjoy more amazing beer), attend BREWzilla on October 27. Tickets and info are at www.clevelandbeerweek.org.
In 2010, Century Cycles conducted an online survey to ask Northeast Ohio bicyclists which style of beer they prefer after a bike ride. The overwhelming favorite among the 114 respondents was Ale/Pale Ale/ IPA, which garnered 44% of the votes. That was followed by Wheat/Belgian (21%), Porter/Stout (18%), Light Beer (10%), and Lager (7%).
All the pesky details:
While the Night Ride is FREE and requires no advanced registration, Night Riders must sign a waiver before participating and are responsible for the purchase of their own beer and food at the Winking Lizard. This ride is at night, in the dark woods on an un-lit trail. That is why bicycle lights and helmets are REQUIRED. Children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult; young adults under 21 should ignore all the excitement about the beer tapping. Finally, make sure those beer costumes don’t hang or catch in a bicycle’s spokes or chain (falling off your bike tends to ruin the fun) and that you can still wear your bike helmet in costume.
About Century Cycles Night Rides
Now in their 18th year, Century Cycles Night Rides were in the national spotlight in 2009 when Bicycling Magazine, the world’s #1 bicycling publication, dubbed them one of America’s great local rides. They are casual, ride-at-your-own pace bicycle rides (not races) about 12-15 miles long. All skill levels are welcome, but knowledge of bicycling etiquette and experience riding the Towpath Trail are recommended. Night Rides begin and end in the parking lot at Century Cycles’ Peninsula store (1621 Main Street, on Route 303). Parking is available at the Lock 29 Trailhead, just north of the store.
About Cleveland Beer Week
The fourth annual CLEVELAND BEER WEEK will take place from October 19-27, 2012, and will feature hundreds of craft beer tastings, dinners, demonstrations, leisure activities, educational programs, and specials at bars, restaurants, and grocers throughout Cuyahoga County. Established in 2009 as the first event of its kind in northeast Ohio, CLEVELAND BEER WEEK is a not-for-profit, collaborative celebration that raises awareness of the strong craft beer industry while promoting patronage at local establishments and energizing the region’s retail economy. www.clevelandbeerweek.org
About Winking Lizard Tavern
Celebrating 25 years of great food and great brews at 14 Ohio locations. www.winkinglizard.com
About Century Cycles
Founded 20 years ago, Century Cycles is an award-winning, locally-owned chain of independent bicycle stores in Medina, Peninsula, and Rocky River, providing bicycles, bicycle accessories, and friendly, expert service to northeast Ohio bicyclists and their families. At its Peninsula location, Century Cycles also rents bicycles year-round for riding on the Towpath Trail in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park. www.centurycycles.com