BAY VILLAGE, Ohio – Bay Bike to School Challenge announces that one of its sponsors, bicycle manufacturer Raleigh Bicycles, will be awarding a $1,000 scholarship to Bay Bike To School Challenge participants – one student in the senior class at Bay High School.
To qualify, applicants must:
- Complete an application and submit it to the Bay High School Guidance Office by Monday, May 6, 2012.
- Bicycle from home to Bay High School at least 10 days during the 2013 Bay Bike To School Challenge between May 6 and May 24. Applicants must submit their completed Bike To School ride cards to the Guidance Office, where a copy will be made of each one and attached to their application. The original ride card can then be redeemed for the BTS Challenge t-shirt and/or put into the grand prize drawing.
- Once the applicant has biked 10 times (or completed two ride cards), the application will be activated for consideration.
- There is no GPA requirement.
- Representatives from Raleigh Bicycles and Bay Bike To School Challenge will select the winner based on the following criteria: Application essays showing a passion for bicycling and a commitment to a healthy life and/or environment, as well as participation in Bay Bike To School Challenge.
The scholarship will be awarded on Friday, May 24, at the school-wide assembly at Bay High School that concludes Bay Bike To School Challenge. For more scholarship details and to download an application, go to www.centurycycles.com/for/BTS or www.bayvillageschools.com.
Last year, Raleigh Bicycles’ Bike To School Scholarships were won by Gideon Lorette and Jamie Kerka.
In addition to offering these scholarships as part of its sponsorship of Bay Bike To School Challenge, Raleigh Bicycles is providing the program’s grand prizes (two Raleigh bicycles each for Bay Middle School and Bay High School), which students can enter to win after every four bicycle rides to school between May 6 and May 24. Raleigh Bicycles will also give each school $500 if its students exceed the bike-riding milestones set by last year’s challenge, and it plans to award the City of Bay Village with a $1,000 grant to improve bicycling infrastructure in the city.
“By including a scholarship in their generous sponsorship of Bay Bike To School Challenge, Raleigh Bicycles demonstrates that it is not just a partner in the Bay Schools’ effort to make the planet a better place by encouraging students to find healthy and green methods of transportation, but that they also support the value and importance the Bay Schools place upon education,” said Jason Martin, principal of Bay High School.
Bay Bike to School Challenge sponsored by Century Cycles on May 6-24, 2013, encourages Bay Middle and High School students to bicycle to school for three weeks in May to help the environment, improve their health and the community, and have fun. Now in its sixth year, the program has had a big impact -- Bay students have biked 129,476 miles since 2008, saving an estimated 142,423 pounds of carbon dioxide emissions – and is part of the biggest bike-to-school program in the nation.
Century Cycles teams up with Bay Middle School (BMS) and Bay High School (BHS) to organize the program, with the support of other sponsors including Raleigh Bicycles (www.raleighusa.com), Subway of Bay Village, Honey Hut, Bike Cleveland, Bay Village Kiwanis, Bay Schools Parent Teacher Student Association, Project Earth Environmental Club and the Bay Skate and Bike Park Foundation.
About Bay Schools
The schools in Bay Village, Ohio, are award-winning and consistently earn the state’s highest ratings for student achievement. Bay High School was named a National Blue Ribbon School in 2010 by the U.S. Department of Education. www.bayvillageschools.com
About Century Cycles
Century Cycles is an award-winning, locally-owned chain of independent bicycle stores in Medina, Peninsula, and Rocky River, providing all types of bicycles and friendly, expert service to northeast Ohio bicyclists and their families. Founded in 1992, Century Cycles is an authorized dealer of Raleigh, Giant, Electra, Surly and Haro bicycles, as well as Santana tandems. The Peninsula store also rents bicycles year-round for riding on the Towpath Trail in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park. www.centurycycles.com