Bicycles for rent are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Reservations are not required or accepted.
Rentals are by the hour, minimum of one hour, with rental rates pro-rated for each fifteen-minute interval after the first hour.
We stop renting bikes 90 minutes before the store closing time. Bicycles MUST be returned before the store closing time or a late fee will be charged. See below for rental hours.
We are open year-round, but bike rental may be restricted due to weather and trail conditions. You may call us at 330-657-2209 to verify availability. Also, check the Cuyahoga Valley National Park's Alerts and Conditions page to be aware of any trail closures.
You must have a photo ID and a major credit card to rent bikes. You must be 18 years of age or older, or accompanied by a parent or guardian 18 or older.
Helmets are included with all bicycle rentals.
BEFORE YOU ASK: We do NOT have tandem bikes, adult tricycles/trikes, or electric bikes for rent.
Monday thru Thursday
Store Opens: 10:00 am
Last Rental: 6:30 pm
Store Closes: 8:00 pm
Friday and Saturday
Store Opens: 10:00 am
Last Rental: 4:30 pm
Store Closes: 6:00 pm
Store Opens: 12:00pm
Last Rental: 3:30 pm
Store Closes: 5:00 pm
What to Bring
We recommend that you dress in comfortable clothing suitable for moderate athletic activity. You should dress accordingly for the temperature and other weather conditions. Athletic-style shoes work best, e.g. running/tennis shoes, hiking shoes, or athletic sandals. Parts of the Towpath Trail are shaded, but sunscreen is recommended. You are welcome to bring water and snacks. We also have water and other beverages available in a machine next to the rental area, and energy bars and gels for sale in the store.
All of our rental bicycles have a water bottle holder that fits standard bicycle bottles. NOTE: Most store-bought bottled water and sports drinks do NOT fit in bike water bottle holders, because they do not match any standard size. We have standard bicycle bottles for sale in the store.
We can add a front handlebar basket to most of our bikes upon request; no extra charge.
Check the Cuyahoga Valley National Park's Alerts and Conditions page before you leave to be aware of any trail closures.
We are located at 1621 Main Street (State Route 303) in Peninsula, Ohio, 44264. From most locales, you can take Interstate 271 to Exit 12 for Richfield/Peninsula; turn right onto Rt 303 towards Peninsula. Go about 2 miles and we are on the left in the middle of town, right next to the railroad tracks and the Winking Lizard Tavern. See our Peninsula store web page for a map.
We have a limited number of parking spaces available. If space is available, you are welcome to leave your vehicle in our lot while riding our rental bicycles. There is parking available on the public streets in the village of Peninsula, plus at the Lock 29 Trailhead on Mill Street (follow the signs from the main street). All of the alternate parking is a short walk back to the store.
You can ride our bikes to the Towpath Trail directly from the store.
The bike rentals are done through the large red barn doors near the back of the store. On busier days, a staff member will be present there all the time, so you can proceed directly to the rental barn when you arrive. On slower days, if a staff member is not present in the rental barn, stop in at the front of the store to let us know you're here!
On weekends, especially during the summer, you can arrive early to be sure you are able to get bikes right away. Line up outside the rental barn doors near the back to stake your place! If we are already out of bikes when you arrive, you are welcome to wait until some are returned.
- Bring a photo ID and a major credit card (Visa, MasterCard, or Discover). Your credit card will NOT be charged; we just note the information to act as a security deposit.
- Bring along water and any snacks, spare clothing, and other items you want to take with you. Show up ready to ride!
- All members of your family or group need to be present, so that we can select the right style and size of bicycle for each person.
- You will be required to fill out and sign a release form. One release form per family or group is sufficient, as long as the person signing is willing and able to accept responsibility for the whole group.
- We will fit each person with a helmet (included with each bicycle, although you can bring your own if you wish). Helmets must be worn at all times while riding.
- Please let a staff member know if you have any questions about the brakes, shifting, or any other aspect of operating the bicycles.
- The staff member will make a note of your start time, which begins when we have completed selecting and adjusting your bicycles and helmets, and answered any questions you may have.
When you return from your ride:
- BRING YOUR METHOD OF PAYMENT WITH YOU. We do not charge the credit card using the information you left at the beginning of the rental period. You may pay when you are done using a credit card, cash, or Century Cycles Gift Card. Sorry, we do not take personal checks.
- If a staff member is present at the rental barn, we will take your payment there.
- If a staff member is not present at the rental barn, you may leave the bicycles and helmets outside the barn doors, then come to the front of the store to pay.
- We will calculate the time of your rental based on your start time, rounded up to the next 15-minute interval.
Featured in Cleveland Magazine and the Huffington Post!
Cleveland Magazine mentioned our bike rental service in their July 2010 issue, in an article about the Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail. Read it here. We were also mentioned as a "Kid-Friendly Spot" in the April 2012 issue; see it here, and in a May 2012 article in the Huffington Post.
Trail Etiquette & Safety
The Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail is a shared-used trail, so be prepared to encounter walkers, runners, wheelchairs, dogs, and other bicyclists.
- Ride at a speed that you can maintain control.
- Be aware of your surroundings, both seeing and hearing. Do not use earphones.
- Ride on the right side of the trail; do not take up the whole width of the trail.
- If riding in a group, move to single-file when passing other trail users.
- Pass on the left, and announce your presence well in advance by ringing a bell or calling out "Passing on your left." All of our rental bikes have bells.
- Move to single file if other trail users are approaching from the opposite direction.
- Ride defensively. If other trail users do not acknowledge your presence, assume they do not see or hear you. Be ready for small children, dogs, or other trail users to suddenly move in front of you.
- Be extra-cautious in wet weather, especially on wooden bridges and boardwalks. Wet wood is VERY slippery. Ride slowly, don't lean excessively, don't apply the brakes suddenly. Walk if you don't feel safe riding.
- If you need to stop, move completely off to the the side of the trail.
- Do not litter; garbage cans are available at most trailheads.
- Per park rules, do not feed, disturb, or attempt to capture or kill wildlife. Do not remove rocks, plants, or other park property. Respect any trail closures.
For mechanical issues with our bicycles, call us at 330-657-2209. To report unsafe trail conditions or other hazards within the Cuyahoga Valley National Park, call the Park Dispatch/Communications Center at 440-546-5945. In the event of an emergency, call 911.