The Royalview Trail is located in the Mill Stream Run Reservation of the Cleveland Metroparks near Strongsville, Ohio. It was first opened in June of 2012, after many hours of design and construction work by the Cleveland Metroparks staff, volunteers from the Student Conservation Association, and the Cleveland Area Mountain Bike Association (CAMBA).
The terrain is intermediate-to-advanced level, with some short but steep climbs and some roots and rocks.
Riding is permitted from 6:00am - 9:00pm when conditions allow. Class 1 and Class 2 electric bicycles are permitted on Cleveland Metroparks mountain bike trails.
Follow @CMPmtb on X/Twitter to check the latest trail open/closed status.
The main trailhead is located adjacent to the Royalview Picnic Shelter, at the upper end of Royalview Ln, Strongsville, OH 44136. There is ample parking here, plus indoor restrooms, drinking water, a bike repair stand, and bike Wash. There is a very small parking lot at the bottom Royalview Lane just off Valley Parkway; there are not other amenities in the bottom lot.
The Royalview Trail system consists of two trails:
- Red Trail: a loop of about 5½ miles with an option out-and-back spur
- Yellow Trail: a point-to-point trail of about 3½ miles
The trails are one-way for mountain bikers, but are open to hikers in either direction. Be courteous and follow the rules and etiqutte for shared trails. The Yellow Trail has one end at the lower parking lot, and connects to the Red Trail near the upper parking lot. The Red Trail crosses Royalview Lane about halfway up the hill, but it's best to start the Red Trail from the top parking lot.
The two trails alternate riding directions for every other day:
- Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday: Ride the Red Trail clockwise, and ride the Yellow Trail from the bottom to the top.
- Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday: Ride the Red Trail counter-clockwise, and ride the Yellow Trail from the top to the bottom.
On Monday, Wednesday, Friday, or Sunday:
- Park at the lower lot and start immediately on the Yellow Trail.
- When you get to the top of the Yellow Trail where it meets the Red Trail, turn LEFT onto the Red Trail.
- You'll pass the Out-And-Back Spur shortly; turn left onto it if you choose to ride it. You'll end up back in the same spot; turn LEFT onto the Red Trail to continue.
- When you have done a complete loop of the Red Trail, detour into the upper parking lot, then follow the paved Royalview Lane back downhill to the lower parking lot.
If the lower parking lot is full, or if you need water or restrooms, park at the upper lot, then start by riding down the paved Royalview Lane to the lower lot, then start with Step 1 above.
On Tuesday, Thursday, or Saturday:
- Park in the upper lot.
- Look for the trail entrance near the entrance to the parking lot and turn LEFT onto the Red Trail.
- Near the end of your complete loop of the Red Trail, you'll pass the Out-And-Back Spur; turn right onto it if you choose to ride it. You'll end up back in the same spot; turn RIGHT to continue on the Red Trail.
- You'll repeat a short bit of the Red Trail, then come to the Yellow Trail shortly; turn RIGHT onto it.
- When you get to the bottom of the Yellow Trail at the lower parking lot, ride the paved Royalview Lane back to the upper parking lot.
- OPTIONAL: On your way up the paved Royalview Lane, turn RIGHT onto the Red Trail where it cross the road and you'll be able to ride the final two-thirds of the Red Trail back to the upper parking lot.