If you'd like to experience a multi-day bicycle touring adventure on the Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail, there are several options available for camping near the trail.
The information listed below is current as of November 2019. Rates, policies, and availability may vary by season; please contact the responsible organizations to confirm the details before planning your trip.
Permalink for this page: www.centurycycles.com/to/camp
Stanford House Backcountry Campsites
The primitive campsites at the Stanford House near the village of Boston are now permanently CLOSED as of November 2019.
Stay tuned for details of new camping options in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park in the near future.
Heritage Farms in Peninsula
Primitive camping is available at Heritage Farms in the village of Peninsula. Five tent sites are available that can accommodate four adults or a single family, no more than two tents. Two three-sided shelter sites are available that can accommodate two adults or a small family.
Tent sites and shelters are $35 per night. Call 330-657-2330 to make a reservation. Check-in time is 12:00 - 5:00pm. Walk-ins for available sites are accepted after 5:00pm.
Each site includes a trash can and picnic table. A water tank for washing water is provided; bring your own drinking water. A centrally-located campfire site is provided with starter firewood. Additional firewood and bottled water is available for purchase.
No outside firewood, no smoking, no alcoholic beverages, no firearms, and no pets are allowed.
Heritage Farms is a 168-year-old 5th generation family-owned farm located at 6050 Riverview Road in Peninsula, Ohio (about 1/4 mile south of State Route 303).
Summit Metro Parks Camp Sites
The Summit Metro Parks provides campgrounds at two locations along the Towpath Trail:
- Big Bend Trailhead in northern Akron
- New Franklin Township, about 1/4 mile south of the Franklin Trailhead on Center Road, north of the village of Clinton
Campsites are primitive, with no running water or restroom facilities available. Camping is permitted for one-night stays only, and sites are available free of charge on a first-come, first-served basis.
Reservations are not required, although campers are required to sign-in at the kiosk by providing their names, zip codes, arrival date, the number of people in their group, and their departure date.
For campground rules and regulations, see: www.summitmetroparks.org/camping.aspx
To confirm details and availability, contact the administrative offices at 330-867-5511, Monday - Friday, 8:00am - 4:30pm.
Stark County Parks District
The Rivers Edge Camping Area is located near the Bridgeport Quarry Trailhead, about 2-1/2 miles north of downtown Massillon. Use is free of charge for hikers or cyclists; drive-up camping is not allowed. Call 330-353-2377 to register or confirm details and availability.
- Towpath Trail Peace Park Campsites are operated by the Towpath Trail Snack Shack, located at 689 State Route 212, Bolivar, OH 44612. A future trail extension will allow direct access from the Towpath, but for now, you must use the on-road connector between the McDonnell Trailhead and the village of Bolivar.
These campgrounds are located a few miles from the Towpath Trail, so some riding on public streets is necessary for access:
- Silver Springs Campground - about 9 miles east of Peninsula, via State Route 303 (about 3 miles) then the Summit Metro Parks Bike & Hike Trail (about 6 miles)
- KOA Streetsboro - about 10 miles east of Peninsula via State Route 303
- Nimisila Reservoir Metro Park - south of Akron, about 6 to 10 miles east of the Towpath, depending on the route taken
- KOA Canton/East Sparta a.k.a. Bear Creek Resort Ranch - about 7-1/2 miles off of the Towpath Trail from Navarre
- Towpath Trail Campground Canoe and Bike Rental - located about 300 yards off the trail, 8231 Riverland Avenue SW, Navarre, OH 44662, (330) 775-2198.
- NTR Canoe Livery allows primitive camping on their grounds, located in the village of Bolivar just a couple of miles from the Towpath Trail.